Episode 006: Tips for Hiring a Contractor for Home Modifications
Tips for Hiring a Contractor for Home Modifications
In this episode of the Aging in America Podcast, Darren Murray, owner of You’re the Boss, discusses the unique challenges that families face when helping a loved one age at home. Studies have shown that an increasing number of aging adults desire to stay in their homes through the end of their lives. However, at some point along the way, you may be tasked with helping an aging parent, aunt, uncle, or grandparent modify their home so they can stay there for years to come.
Whether the home needs small modifications, such as new switch plates and lower thresholds, or larger modifications, such as walk-in showers, ramp installations, etc, Darren offers sound advice for hiring a contractor. In this episode, we also touch on common modifications that can be made to make a home safer for the aging process.
If you’d like to take a home safety tour with Darren, he was kind enough to allow us to walk-through a senior’s home and discuss safety challenges and recommendations! Watch the senior home safety video.
In this episode you will learn:
- How to talk about a home situation with an aging loved one
- Why home modifications are an important piece of the aging in place process
- What adjustments can be made in the home to decrease the likelihood of falls
- Common myths about hiring a contractor
- Best practices for ensuring you get the right price and the right company to do the job
- Little fixes that retain the value of the home while keeping your loved one safe