Exercise Prescriptions and Healthy Seniors at the Lincoln YMCA
On this episode, JP Lauterbach of the Lincoln YMCA shares the many things the Y is doing to serve aging adults.
With chronic disease accounting for more than 84% of our nation’s health care costs, the YMCA is working hard to provide programs that help prevent and/or manage these chronic diseases, such as:
- Y Lose It: A 13-week weight loss/healthy lifestyle team-based program that helps combat obesity and pre-diabetes.
- Enhance Fitness: A proven, community-based fitness and arthritis management program.
- Delay the Disease: A fitness program designed to empower people with Parkinson’s disease to take control of the disease with daily exercise.
- Weekly fitness classes for individuals with Multiple Sclerosis
- A free “exercise as medicine” YMCA trial – available from health providers around the city (see graphic below). If your provider does not offer this, call your local YMCA to obtain one (see graphic below).
In this episode you will learn:
- How the YMCA is serving individuals of all ages through specific programming and classes
- The hidden benefit of staying active in group exercise as we age (healthy seniors love this!)
- How to obtain a “prescription” for exercise at the Lincoln YMCA
- The best way to learn about the YMCA’s class offerings
- The places you should go for a good potluck!
Links and/or resources mentioned in this episode:
JP Lauterbach has been the Chief Operating Officer at the Lincoln YMCA since 2012. With a 25 year career history in the YMCA organization, Lauterbach has served in a number of positions in Nebraska and Kansas. When he’s not working or volunteering, he enjoys spending time with his wife, Tysha, and their four children. He also enjoys music, jogging, lifting weights, coaching his kids’ sports teams, and watching them play.